Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Teaser: The Map of Rock

I've had a LOT of fun building the Map of Rock over the past month, and with a few pointers from Christophe Viau, I've managed to find a spot for it online, where everyone can have a gander. There's a problem though: I see a lot of people reading this blog, but no comments. I cannot make bricks without clay, people. So here's the deal: five comments. If five comments show up on this post, you can have the ultra-secret volcano-lair location of the Map of Rock. It's a steal, ladies and gentlemen.

Ten comments, and I'll go through the trouble of inserting all the missing umlauts.

7 comments:

  1. I want the location! Come on
    people!

    ReplyDelete
  2. cool. you could run a spectral analysis on this and see by whom everyone's being influenced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have two things to say to that:

      1. I'm going to have to learn spectral analysis to do that. Any tips you have would be helpful.

      2. There are some underlying factors that aren't apparent. The first and nastiest I can think of: time. I haven't been rigorous enough to record when these edges existed. Parts of this graph only existed for the span of a single album or tour and then ceased to be. Coincidentally, modelling that kind of behavior is a huge problem in bioinformatics, because certain interactions only happen under specific circumstances, not all circumstances.

      Delete
  3. I would be interested in seeing both the full map as well as what Akshay suggested (if possible). Also, have you tracked the albums that the collaborations/influences happened with/on or just the fact that group a spawned group b etc? Let me know

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have my volcano suit on. Show me the map!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The gods of rock have been touched by your offerings. Post to follow!

    ReplyDelete